Monday, May 20, 2013

Emoryunion + Ziplining + Daegu = Best Weekend Yet!

Last month, my friend Dana -- a fellow Emory alum -- came and visited me in Daegu, which was GREAT! He, his friends from Daejeon and I made the most of every moment of the weekend. Starting with...the Cat & Dog Café!

This dog wasn't half as friendly as the wolverine dog
that kept climbing on me and trying to eat my phone :-P
But after catching up, we headed off to other
events...
It was a rainy day-gu, but that didn't stop this
 crew from turning the city upside down.  
After an adventurous trek to the shooting range, I showed
the Daejeonians...Daejeoners...anyway, we went to one of
my favorite galbi restaurants downtown! 
Anyone who knows me knows that I loathe this place,
but I felt I'd be remiss if I didn't showcase one of Daegu's
most waygooky zones ever--GoGo Vinyl. With sparklers.

We danced the night away and then crashed in preparation for
the next day's adventures. 
We had planned on visiting Herb Hillz on Saturday, but the rain
canceled that. No matter--it was a beautiful Sunday!
 Herb Hillz, which I hadn't heard of before we went there, is an eco-park. The online description makes it sound like an outdoorsy nerd's paradise, but it's actually really cool. They offer several
different obstacle courses, complete with ziplines and all-Korean-language safety instructions sure to make you feel like you're fluent if you don't die by the end of the course!
Not sure what's going on with the upside-down
statue...but hey, it's Korea!

Oh let's do it!
*Ironic note* Dana and I actually first met on an outdoor
ropes course type of experience called Crossroads in college! 

They wisely make you practice clipping your
suspension hooks so you are at less risk of
doing something wrong while in the trees. 

Kate conquering the stair-stepping obstacle (harder than
it looks!!)
  
This was one of my least favorite parts of the
King Kong course (code word for hard and kinda
dangerous). It was like skateboarding on a tightrope. Oh wait,
that's what it WAS! 

Dana zipping through Herb Hillz like a boss! 
That splash of red is Kate on (I think) the longest
zipline on the course. 

Giving "tree hugger" a whole new meaning. 
After the course, we were really excited and wanted to do it again, but decided to take a break to snap some ridiculous pictures.
All aboard the ratchet bus! 
Rachel got us all excited about zorbing, but then the
park decided to enforce a height & weight limit so we
couldn't go! ㅠ.ㅠ 
That didn't preclude Herb Hillz from having this
oh-so-culturally-appropriate activity, though.

Sarah & Rachel are much better at getting there faces at just
the right angle.

After all that zipping and swinging, we were hungry. Where
better to enjoy a meal than my neighborhood of Suseong Swag?  

Doesn't everyone just have planes sitting about in
the neighborhood lake? 
This oddity is actually a little café on the inside. 
En route to the airplane café, we caught a glimpse of this.
Back home, people go on romantic horse-drawn carriage rides.
In Daegu, people go on robot-Hello-Kitty-drawn mini carriage
rides. Whatever floats your boat!
But really, this robot thing was sketch

After packing all of this into just over 24 hours, it was time for the Daejeonians (I'm really going to give them a different demonym each time) to head back home.

Till the next adventure...

~WTRJ