Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Koreanization of WTRJ

It's official: I am becoming a Korean. There are little habits that you just pick up while living abroad, and I've acquired quite a few. This is how Koreanized I've become after about 4 months here:
  • Saying "maybe" to things that are totally certain. My teaching comrades and I have found that Korean people generally avoid giving firm answers to...well, lots of things. I've found myself saying "maybe" to questions that are definitely a "yes." For example: 
  • "Maybeeee...we can go to lunch now?" *knowing that we go to lunch at noon every day and the dining room is open, AND I've noticed that the person I'm asking is looking at the clock like "When are we going to lunch? Geez."  
    "Maybeeee...there will be a typhoon starting this afternoon." *Having watched the weather forecast, we know that there's a 100% chance that a typhoon is swiftly approaching with the intention of ruining our day and breaking our umbrellas.  
    You get the picture. 
  • Mispronouncing English words. Yes, English is my first language. Yes, I know the structure of the language better than most (thanks to a line of excellent English teachers in primary and secondary school--thanks Mrs. Hill, Ms. McMillan, Mrs. Williams & Ms. Gatzman!). That does not mean, however, that I don't mess up. In fact, I've always adapted to the language around me, so much so that I'm still trying to shake the way that my Spanish accent changed when I was teaching in La Plata, Argentina. But really...
  •           I SAID "LUNCHY" INSTEAD OF "LUNCH" THE OTHER DAY! UGH! 
              The way that Korean syllables are constructed, words generally can't end in hard consonants. So "computer" is "compyutah," "nice" is "niceuh," and yes, "lunch" is "lunchy." I was accidentally saying this for a solid week until I realized that I was pronouncing the words the Korean way. I'm a hot mess!
    Bowing to everyone all the time. Bowing is the most commonplace social gesture in Korea, so it comes as no surprise that I've picked that up. I've taken to bowing automatically, because that's how people greet each other. No more waving at people, not even  "Hi ___," -- no, sometimes it's just a swift, silent bow. The problem with this is that I'll sometimes forget and accidentally bow to my students, which is bad because I'm "above them" in social status because I'm a teacher, and it makes it awkward for everyone. So I make a conscious effort not to bow to the girls, which actually makes me feel a little rude. Confusing! 
  • Receiving everything with two hands. It's disrespectful to take things from people -- including receiving change at a store -- with only one hand. So, we're always taking things with two hands or holding the right arm up with the left hand. This felt so unnatural at first, and honestly, it still seems strange sometimes, but I almost instinctively take everything double-handed now. I'm pretty sure I'll do this when I go back to the U.S., and it'll probably be met with looks that say, "Hmm, maybe his right arm hurts or something. Whatever."
          And last but not least...

  • I joined the BigOlPhone Cult. Many, if not most, Korean people have phones that are just massive to U.S. standards. I'm talking about borderline-iPad-Mini type of massive. I made fun of these people and their bricks, but then when I went to get a different cell phone (because my old phone & plan were not worth what I was paying), one of these BigOlPhones--the Samsung Galaxy Note--was on sale and almost the same price as the RegularOlPhone. So I bought one and I LOVE IT!! This thing is awesome and does everrrything, even if I usually carry it in my briefcase because it's super awkward in my pocket. Here's how my new toy sizes up next to some Burt's Bees.


Hopefully when I get ready to come back to the States, they'll let me back in and won't think I've lost too much USA-ness to be readmitted to the country!

Until next time! 안녕히 가세요!
WTRJ